Friday, August 22, 2014

Offworld Trading Company

A few months ago I heard about Soren Johnson starting a new indie gaming company on the Game Designers Round Table Podcast.  Soren Johnson is one of the main designers of Civilization III and IV and he was speaking about today's new avenues for crowd financing and digital distribution, e.g. Kickstarter and Steam.  He said it seemed the right time to strike out with a small game company - Mowhawk Games.  I was very excited then when he spoke about his love for M.U.L.E and how his company was working with Stardock Games to publish a loosely M.U.L.E inspired economic RTS called  Mars something something.

Well they have an actual name for it now and it's called Offworld Trading Company.  I am really hoping this will be as good as it sounds.  It sounds kind of like a RTS version of an 18xx game with an electronic brain, network play and pretty Mars backgrounds.  Like M.U.L.E, the narrative I am hearing brings together my love for planetary colonization stories with my love for a good vicious economic trading game.

Oh I do hope it somehow also captures that feeling of boldly colonizing those brave new worlds.
8 players with AI support sounds pretty swell, and if it plays in a couple hours like some glorious mutant StarcraftStockTicker baby, well then I think it will be a go-to game in our little group.  You can buy in now for access to play the alpha, and eventually it will hit Steam Early Access for a wider audience and then come out for real.

So here hoping it's as good as it might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment