Sunday, August 17, 2014

Rails and Colossus

I finally looked up the java program that was  that was recommended to me at Hammercon 3 by our fiendish enabler friend K.S.


Rails is a java implementation of a bunch of 18xx games and I'm interested to try it out.  It either has or will
have play-by-email according to the developer page.  I am not sure it would be as much fun playing this kind of game offline without being able to curse and cajole the other players but it would be interesting to try.  Otherwise network play is the ticket here, much like Colossus/Titan having a computer do the calculation and item handling should speed up a long game into a reasonable evening length one.  Just managing the paper money will shave an hour off the game probably.  This client supports the most popular variant 1830 but also the Southern Ontario 1856 version we like so much.  Nothing like playing 1856 in Hamilton and then walking outside to see those old tracks snaking through the city.


As for Colossus, well that is a really good implementation and I have had fun playing it in the past.  Good interface and good network support.  I don't think I ever lost connection or had any problems with playing online.  Also it is a great way to learn Titan if you haven't played.  

Titan the Monster Slugathon - that should be enough to melt the hardest of hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment